KushGarden.Nstars.Org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeRegisterLatest imagesSearchLog in

Advice from Purdue President could ease college life

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Advice from Purdue President could ease college life Empty
PostSubject: Advice from Purdue President could ease college life   Advice from Purdue President could ease college life EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 11:14 pm

This is an exciting time to be a Boilermaker!

Purdue University continues to advance in academics, research and service, with an exceptional reputation known around the world.

As you start this new semester, I encourage you to stay open to the new experiences that will come your way. We are an international campus and you will have classmates from around the world. Take advantage of this opportunity to make new friends and learn more about the world beyond your home. As you pursue your studies, consider a study abroad experience that expands your horizons or a service-learning project that helps others here at home.

I encourage you also to participate in our Common Reading Selection, “The Kite Runner,” which is a compelling story of two friends in Afghanistan whose challenges and choices define their adulthood. Copies are available in the Purdue libraries for those who didn’t get one as part of the STAR program. We’re fortunate that author Khaled Hosseini, author of the award-winning book, will deliver a public talk at 3 p.m. Aug. 22 in Purdue’s Elliott Hall of Music. These are the kinds of experiences that add value to your Purdue education.

Make the most of your time at Purdue by following these steps:

Find your passion.

Purdue is a comprehensive university and offers courses and extracurricular activities on things you may never have heard of. Find out what makes you excited and go for it. Your passion could become your mission.

Get to know your professors.

Not only are they cutting-edge experts in their fields, they also care about your education and personal growth. Take a class from a great teacher outside your major!

Take advantage of academic help sessions and other resources.

Join study sessions and help sessions; you can always learn more.

Join a club.

We have almost 900 student organizations on campus, covering everything from hobbies to community service to career exploration. It’s also a chance to meet new people, and to develop and demonstrate your leadership skills.

Take care of yourself.

Eating right and staying fit will help with classes, homework and homesickness. We’re building an exceptional student recreational facility, but we’ve also arranged to have exercise facilities available now. Take some time to check them out.

The real secret to college is participating. Attending class and staying on top of assignments is the first step to a great education. You should know there many people on campus committed to helping you succeed, from your academic advisors to me, your president.

The Exponent will run a monthly column in which I answer questions from students. The editors will be soliciting questions and you can also reach me by email at president@purdue.edu.

Go Boilers and have a great year!
Back to top Go down
http://kushgarden.nstars.org

Advice from Purdue President could ease college life
Page 1 of 1